Teach and Taste: Corn Mush with Fried Taspaŋ (Apple)
- ⅓ cup white wamnaheza yukpaŋpi (cornmeal)
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 pieces bacon or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 pound apples and/or pears, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup caŋhaŋpi (maple syrup)
- In a pan, toast cornmeal until fragrant. Then, whisk in water until you reach desired consistency.
- If rendering bacon fat, cook bacon slowly on medium-low heat in a cast-iron pan. Remove bacon from pan and fry apples (and/or pears) until nearly tender.
- Add butter, cinnamon stick, and maple syrup. Let cook until completely tender, but not mushy. Remove from heat and add a pinch of salt.
- Remove cinnamon stick and top corn mush with apples and maple syrup.